Saturday, November 8, 2008

Q&A with Eco-friendly Fashion Designer Lizzie Parker

Lizzie, Youa, and Danielle

I joined Tweed along with other supporters to welcome their newest designer – Lizzie Parker tonight. The celebration was held at Tweed Boutique in Greenwood from 5:30pm to 8:30pm. Tweed (owned by Danielle Luartes) is now carrying Lizzie Parker’s full collection. I sat down with Lizzie Parker for a quick Q&A to get to know her a little better.

YK: Congrats Lizzie on your new home! Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

LP: Well, I worked at Microsoft for 5 years and got a business degree at Hope College. I’ve always wanted to be a fashion designer but thought it was more of a fun activity. In the end I’m glad I did it that way because you will always be able to design if you have that ability naturally, it will never leave you but to be successfully you’ll have to know the business aspect.

YK: How did you get started in fashion?

LP: I started by helping out with trunk shows through Worth Corporation and eventually started Lizzie Parker which has been around for 2 and ½ years now.

YK: Lizzie Parker is well known for being eco-friendly and we’ve all heard about everyone else who is taking fashion towards sustainability. Why did you choose to make your line eco-friendly?

LP: For my kids. I don’t want to leave a mess for my children. I always try to make a difference. My signature fabric is organic bamboo jersey which is the first to be certified in the market and I also use organic cotton. 95% of my manufacturing is in Seattle.

YK: Tell me about your Spring 2009 collection? I saw it in PFW and absolutely love the fuchsia color you used.

LP: The fuchsia pieces were made at a lower price for the economy but season less is the way to go. I try to do classic pieces.

Lizzie and Youa

YK: I saw your collection in PFW and now you are partnering with Tweed Bountique. For a designer who has been around for 2 and ½ years, I would say you’ve been pretty darn successful. What are your words of wisdom for those designers who are beginning?

LP: (rolling eyes sarcastically with a smile) Find a mentor. I was lucky and had great mentors. Stay true to yourself and what you believe. Talk to people on the business side of things too.

YK: Ok, my last question. Why Tweed Boutique?

LP: My line has done very well here and Danielle and I click the moment we meet. Everything just worked out well so it felt like the right thing to do.

To see Lizzie Parker's Spring 2009 Collection, visit her website: www.lizzieparker.com. To purchase Lizzie Parker clothing visit Tweed Boutique.

3 comments:

Sydney Loves Fashion said...

Lizzie is great! She showed her line several times in the Fashion First Runway Show and she always puts out great knit jersey tops.

Nice interview!

Yours Truly said...

I remember going with you to this one... Lizzie Parker really seemed to click with you too. :D

Love, Youa said...

Thank you!

Yes, Lizzie Parker was a sweetheart! It was really easy to talk to her. :)